BJP Losing Popularity, Needs Introspection; Feel Guwahatians

Tuesday, 02 June 2020

ARTICLES

BJP Losing Popularity, Needs Introspection; Feel Guwahatians

Saumya Mishra | February 15, 2020 17:34 hrs

With BJP losing another state election (Delhi), do you think BJP's popularity is lessening?

Yes: 76%

No: 24%

Total votes: 5.1K

The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) recorded a landslide victory in the recently-held Delhi assembly elections with the party bagging 62 seats out of the total 70. The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) managed to win eight seats while the Congress Party drew a blank.    

The Delhi election was primarily a direct fight between the BJP and the AAP as both the parties left no stones unturned in their campaigns to woo voters prior to the voting.
     
During the campaigning phase, the AAP leaders focussed primarily on the issues of development including education, health and others. However, the National Register of Citizens (NRC) and the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) also found a place in the AAP’s campaign. 

On the other hand, the main issue for the BJP during campaigning was the ongoing protests at Shaheen Bagh in Delhi. 

Many see these results as a loss of popularity for the BJP among the masses especially after their resounding victory in the Lok Sabha elections in 2019. Prior to this, the party had lost the elections in a total of five states since December 2018. These include Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand. 

G Plus recently conducted a poll asking Guwahatians if they feel that with its loss in Delhi assembly elections, the BJP is losing its popularity. As many as 5,100 participants took part in the poll.

Further, a majority of the respondents (76 per cent) voted for the affirmative saying that the BJP indeed has failed to maintain its stronghold among the masses. On the other hand, 24 per cent respondents said that the BJP is still going strong in the Centre despite its recent losses.  

Several people mentioned that the BJP needs to introspect and analyse the reasons as to what went wrong in the Delhi polls.     
 
A city resident, Partha Pratim Adhikary said, “Congratulations to Mr. A Kejriwal and it was indeed a very tough battle for BJP. In recent times BJP has lost the trust and faith of the people. Hope Mr. Narendra Modi and his big team will retrospect on their recent failures. I also think that in coming years Mr. Kejriwal emerges as a big leader and a big contender for the PM post clearly, after Modi it’s him undoubtedly.”

Further, some stressed on the need to have good politicians who work honestly for the development of society.  

Dhanakumar Wahengbam mentioned, “We don’t need party, we need good politician, we need good governance that’s all whether it may be any party. We should give votes to the eligible persons who can fulfil people’s needs.”

Another respondent, Rumi Baruah, said along the same lines that the need of the hour is to elect educated politicians, and it doesn’t matter from which political party they belong. 

On the other hand, Tridip Saloi expressed his apprehensions about this victory setting the tone for the future too. 

“Remember one thing. This same Delhi people who give thumping majority to AAP in assembly election also give thumping majority to BJP in Lok Sabha elections.”

Further, another participant mentioned that regional parties are challenging both the BJP and the Congress and it is mostly the erstwhile Congress voters who have shifted to voting for other parties.
 
A city resident, Bhrigu Kumar Kalita mentioned, “State elections and national elections are very different, BJP mixed it. Shaheen Bagh, CAA, NRC, NPR everything comes under union and the state has no role in it. BJP fought a wrong battle against the wrong person. The army chief fighting for BJP in the battle was Manoj Tiwari, a spoilt brat who thought he could win war in the name of Papa. BJP really needs to straighten its game.”

Comments (0) Post Comment