Queen Ojha lands in controversy for alleged "Document Fraud"

Thursday, 02 April 2020

ARTICLES

Queen Ojha lands in controversy for alleged "Document Fraud"

Mrinmoyee Hazarika | April 03, 2019 14:49 hrs

GUWAHATI: The BJP Guwahati (E) LS candidate Queen Ojha has beckoned controversy after she allegedly submitted ‘false data’ on her educational qualification in support of her nomination for the ensuing Lok Sabha (LS) election.

In the affidavit filed before the returning officer of the LS polls in Amingaon, Guwahati, she said that had done higher secondary (HS) from Krishna Kanta Handiqui State Open University (KKHSOU) in the year 2011.

The column under which she gave that information is marked for the candidate to provide details of his/her highest school/university education with full name of the certificate/diploma/degree course and the year of completion of the course.

However, according to KKHSOU vice-chancellor, Dr Hitesh Deka, the university never offered a ‘higher secondary’ (HS) course or any course that is equivalent to HS.

Deka told this correspondent: “The university previously offered a course called ‘Bachelor Preparatory Programme’ (BPP) for the candidates who failed in their HSLC or HS but wanted to enroll for a degree course.

“Maybe, other universities are still providing it, but we suspended the BPP course two years back.”

The Congress candidate for the Guwahati LS seat, Bobbeeta Sharma, has already sought legal help from her lawyer to discuss whether the issue can be raised any further to cancel Ojha’s nomination.

Bobbeeta Sharma’s husband and a renowned businessman of the region, Chinmoy Sharma, said: “She (Bobbeeta) has already submitted all the relevant documents to her lawyer. The lawyer will study the documents and get back to her today evening. Only then she will be able to take a call on her next course of action.

“If there is any fault, she (Bobbeeta) might seek for the cancellation of Queen Ojha’s nomination.”

Defying the allegation, Ojha said that it is impossible for her to think of doing any misdeeds at this age and time.    

Ojha said: “Would you believe me if I say that the allegations are not true? Why a person of my age and reputation will do such thing?

“There may have some misunderstanding that I am not aware of. But, I have faith in myself, the people and the entire electoral process. I have not done anything wrong.”  

Ojha, who left AGP to join BJP, further added: “It is a conspiracy hatched by the opposition, as we are much ahead of them.

“I passed HSLC in 1968 and then joined Handique Girls College in 1969 to study HS, but could not complete the course due to some reasons. So, I appeared the exam later. I still have plans to study further. I do not want to say more on the matter.”

In 2001, the 67-year old candidate contested in the state assembly polls from Guwahati (East) constituency, but suffered defeat.

Ojha, who once held the position of Mayor of Guwahati Municipal Corporation, has been projected by BJP to replace the party’s sitting MP from Guwahati LS, Bijoya Chakravarty.

Comments (0) Post Comment