Guwahati Gyan | Bura Jame Masjid
We have all seen the Bura Jame Masjid at Ambari. The oldest mosque in the city can trace its origins back all the way to the time of the Mughal invasion of Assam.
With the Mughal army, during its first invasion of the Ahom kingdom in 1615, came a spiritual man who was popularly known as Burababa.
The Mughal army was however defeated by the Ahoms in the battle of Itakhuli in 1682 and pushed back to the west of the Manas River. By then, Burababa had already expired and was buried at the same place where he had spent a major portion of his life and was revered by all. The Masjid was named after this spiritual soul.
The soldiers and officials of the Mughal army who stayed back in this beautiful place continued to offer prayers at the Baba’s grave that had by then turned into a ‘durgah’.
The now standing Bura Jame Masjid was constructed about a century ago on land donated by an old Muslim lady. But it was first established during the reign of Swargadeo Rudra Singha (1696-1714). However, it also collapsed during Rudra Singha’s reign in an earthquake. It was reconstructed in the 19th century only to collapse again in the earthquake of 1897.