Guwahati City Guide for FIFA U-17 World Cup 2017
Guwahati is the easternmost city to host the FIFA U-17 World Cup. It is mainly known as the Gateway to the Northeast as it is the biggest and commercially the most viable city in the northeastern part of India. The city is situated in the state of Assam in the district of Kamrup and is surrounded by hills on three sides and the mighty Brahmaputra on the other side. It is also referred to as the city of temples by many due to the number of temples present in the city.
cally, Guwahati has coordinates of 26°11'N 91°44'E and has an elevation of 57m (above sea level) and has a metropolitan area of around 216 km.
The World Cup will be played at the Indira Gandhi Athletic Complex situated in Sarusajai Guwahati. It is also known as the Sarusajai Stadium. The stadium will have a seating capacity of 24,000 for the upcoming World Cup and it will host nine games in total including a semi-final. The Stadium has three main gates for entry but as per reports only the gate number 1 will be used to enter the stadium premises and inside the stadium premises the lines will be divided based on their stadium entry gate numbers.
Important Distances From The Stadium
- The Distance between the Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport and the Sarusajai Stadium is around 22.5 km.
- The Distance between the Nearest Station (Guwahati Railway Station) and the Stadium is 12.9 km, but a word of caution - this route is one of Guwahati’s busiest and could take a while to reach your desired destination due to heavy traffic.
- The Distance between Kamakhya Station and the Stadium is 14 km, even though it's a bit far away compared to the Guwahati station people usually reach the Kamakhya station earlier due to its jam-free route.
- The Distance between the Stadium and Inter State Bus Terminal (ISBT) is around 4.4 km.
- The Distance between the Stadium and Tepesia Sports Complex is around 20 km.
- The Distance between the Stadium and Nehru Stadium is around 11.4 km.
- The Distance between the Stadium and the SAI Complex is around 6.6 km.
Modes Of Transport
If you are arriving in the city via air, you can take the AC bus that plies from the airport.
If you are arriving in the city via train and get down at the Kamakhya Station, walk a few metres to Maligaon Chariali and take a Bus to Jalukbari and then from Jalukbari take a trekker or the Maxo pickup till the stadium.
If you get down at the Guwahati Station, take a rickshaw till Nepali Mandir. From Nepali Mandir take a trecker or Maxo pick up till Lokhra.
- Do carry an Umbrella
- Do wear light colour Clothes as the humidity would play a big factor
- Arrive at the Venue early on Match Days
- Don't Carry Tobacco and inflammable objects Inside the Stadium
- Don't Smoke and Drink Alcohol Inside the Stadium Premises
- Don't try to enter No entry Zones as the Security personals have the freedom to detain such persons.
- The Nearest Police Station to the Stadium is the Gorchuk Police Outpost Tele-0361 2270151
Hope you have a great time in Guwahati.
(Inputs from Sportskeeda)