Guwahati: No Garbage Collection, Road Cleaning from January 27
GUWAHATI: The Guwahati Municipal Corporation's (GMC) designated activities involving collecting garbage and cleaning the roads will be affected from January 27.
This was informed to G Plus by a leader of the Guwahati Municipal Karmi Sangha (GMKS). "All activities of cleaning roads and collecting garbage will not be undertaken from the 27th January. The only service that will continue is the water supply," he told G Plus.
Guwahati Municipal Karmi Sangha (GMKS) and other workers affiliated with the unions have called for an indefinite strike starting from January 27, 2020.
The other unions who have joined the strike include Water Supply Workers' Union, Harijan Majdoor Union, All Assam Harijan Majdoor Union, and Technical Officers' Union.
The major demands include:
1. Regularization of the workers based on the 2014 General Meeting of the Council, which demanded 939 temporary contractual workers to be made regular.
2. Pension for the retired and deceased workers
3. They further demand purified drinking water and better street lights for Guwahatians.
4. Workers' EPF and GPF Fund Release to their EPF and GPF Account.
5. Promotion based on qualification and age.
6. Make arrangements for the payment of Municipal Employees' Pension as a grant by the state government.
Until the demands are met, the workers have claimed to continue the strike.