Guwahati: Workers Protest over Regularization of Employment in GMC
GUWAHATI: The Guwahati Municipal Karmi Sangha (GMKS) and other affiliated unions associated with the Guwahati Municipal Corporation (GMC) have demanded the regularization of the workers.
The GMKS held a two-day demonstration in front of the GMC office in Panbazar on 20th and 21st January. They have further demanded to go on a protest on 27th January if the demands are not met.
The demands include:
1. Regularization of the workers
based on the 2014 General Meeting of the Council, which demanded 939 temporarily contractual workers to be regular.
2. Pension for the retired and deceased workers
3. They further demand purified drinking water and better street lights for Guwahatians
4. Workers EPF and GPF Fund Release to their EPF and GPF Account
5. Promotion based on Qualification and Age
6. Make arrangements for the payment of Municipal Employees' Pension as a grant by the State Government.
G Plus spoke to Pulak Mahanta, Joint Commissioner of GMC who stated that the matter has been forwarded to the government. "Since the demands they have asserted includes a policy decision, we have forwarded the matter to the government," added Mahanta.
- Guwahati Municipal Corporation
- Guwahati Municipal Karmi Sangha
- regularization of workers
- Guwahati News
- G Plus
- Guwahati Plus
- G Plus News
Workers protesting outside the GMC office