Guwahati Zoo restarts Trekking Route inside zoo premises

Wednesday, 21 October 2020

daily news

Guwahati Zoo restarts Trekking Route inside zoo premises

G Plus News | December 22, 2018 15:31 hrs

GUWAHATI: Assam State Zoo in Guwahati is re-introducing a new trek route. The trek route is inside the zoo premises and is in a circular path. It covers an area of around 6 kilometres and takes almost two hours to complete. A staff member of the Assam State Zoo will guide the trekkies and bring them back safely. 

“The Assam State Zoo has a huge area. The exhibit area where visitors come and see the animals covers only 20 percent of the total area. The remaining 80 percent


of the zoo is surrounded by an area of virgin forests and hills. It is a beautiful unexplored area and that’s why we want to start the trek here. The trek too, is beautiful and there is a beautiful lake on top of the hill in the middle of the trek and another one towards the end of it,” said Tejas Mariswamy, Divisional Forest Officer of the Assam State Zoo. 

Currently, the trek is free for all. Interested groups can call up the zoo authorities in advance and set up their trek experience. Earlier this year in May, the authorities had started the trek experience, but because of the rainy season and less participation, they failed to acquire more participants. Also, the Rs 1000 nominal fee has been removed during this period. 

“We are revamping the program again and hope to get more visitors this time around,” said Mariswamy.

Banner

Assam State Zoo

Comments (0) Post Comment
Loading...