Northeast students in Bengaluru can now avail govt hostel facilities

Saturday, 30 May 2020

daily news

Northeast students in Bengaluru can now avail govt hostel facilities

G Plus News | September 01, 2018 11:52 hrs

GUWAHATI: Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy has expressed happiness that the hostel for students from Northeastern region in Bengaluru is ready for inauguration.

He informed this on Thursday during a meeting here with Union Minister Jitendra Singh, who had laid the foundation stone of the hostel for girl students from NE in June 2016.

The hostel, which is the first of its kind in Bangalore University, can accommodate more than 250 students.

The hostel has been funded by North Eastern Council, the purpose of which is to support students from NE, who are pursuing their studies in Bengaluru.

Singh informed the CM that 75 per cent of seats in the hostel are proposed to be reserved for students from NE, while the remaining 25 per cent seats are proposed to be earmarked for students from other parts of the country.

The composition of students from NE and other parts of the country will help in better integration, he added.

Bangalore University attracts students from NE in large numbers, many of whom find it difficult to afford accommodation, Singh said, adding, the hostel will be helpful for them, specially girl students.

(Inputs PTI)


Representative Image

Comments (0) Post Comment