NRC Assam: Only 3.5 lakh apply for claims, 36 lakh missing

Friday, 30 October 2020

daily news

NRC Assam: Only 3.5 lakh apply for claims, 36 lakh missing

G Plus News | November 20, 2018 13:49 hrs

GUWAHATI: A whopping 36 lakh people from Assam who originally applied for the NRC (National Register of Citizens) have gone missing. 

With just three weeks to go before the closure of the claims and objection process, the NRC authorities and the Union Home ministry are baffled to see that close to 36 lakh people have gone missing.

Among a total of 40 lakh people whose names had been excluded from the final draft of NRC, only 3.5 lakh people have reapplied for their na


mes to be included in the NRC. These people had been excluded for being unable to prove their nationalities for various reasons.

The final draft was published on  July 30. Since then more than 110 days have passed and shockingly 36 lakh people have not approached any NRC Seva Kendras claiming to be an Indian with further proof. With less and less number of people coming to the NSK in the last few weeks, this figure is unlikely to change a very dramatic change in the next three week, said the NRC authorities.

The BJP has expressed serious concerns over the low number of claims and objections filed so far regarding the NRC update process. The ruling party called upon all the citizens of Assam and various organizations to take the issue seriously. 

Addressing the media on November 19, state BJP spokesperson Rupam Goswami said all political parties, non-political organizations and the common people of Assam should concentrate on the matter.

Banner

Representative Image

Comments (0) Post Comment
Loading...