Passengers can now avail their choice of meals during train journeys
To provide facilities of meals of their choice during train journeys, 13 service providers have been engaged by the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC). The service can also be availed at 8 railway stations of North East. The stations are - Guwahati, New Bongaigaon, Katihar, Kishanganj, New Jalpaiguri, Lumding, Dimapur and New Tinsukia.
Apart from the above stations, vendor empanelment for Kamakhya, New Cochbehar, New Alipurduar, Dibrugarh Town, Rangiya, Badarpur & Agartala stations are in process to provide this facility to more and more passengers.
The system is known as e-catering. Through this system, passengers can avail the option of food of their choice delivered right into their berth on arrival of the train at station. The payment can be made after receiving the food.
The e-service has been launched few months ago with the objective to facilitate passengers to book meals of their choice.
Ministry of Railways has also decided to widen the reach of this scheme to more stations based on response/ feedback received from the passengers and the need to ensure provision of catering services to travelling passengers.
Mode of booking for E-catering services:
- Online orders can be placed at www.ecatering.irctc.co.in
- Through mobile app, 'food on track' which can be downloaded on Android/IOS phones.
- By making a call on 1323.
- Through SMS, by typing MEAL <PNR> and sending to 139.
Payment options available for making a booking are as under:
- Website: - Prepaid & Cash on Delivery (COD)
- Mobile App: - Prepaid & Cash on Delivery (COD)
- On Call:- Cash on Delivery (COD)
- SMS: - Cash on Delivery (COD)
Food delivery service in railways | Source - gov.in